Whether at sea or on land, Sea Cadets offers an environment where young people can find new confidence and inspiration and gain nationally recognised qualifications. Across the UK 14,000
cadets from 400 units, supported by 9,000 volunteers, are challenging themselves and developing new skills through adventurous activities based on the customs and traditions of the
Royal Navy and providing the best possible head start in life.
Each Sea Cadet unit is an independent charity in its own right which must fundraise for its running costs while the parent charity of MSSC (Marine Society & Sea Cadets) funds the charitable infrastructure and provides national facilities. Our biggest supporter is the Royal Navy whose customs and traditions are at the heart of what we do.
Sea Cadet units are managed and run by committed volunteers. The unit management team (UMT) are volunteers and act as the unit’s trustees, headed up by unit chairperson, vice chairperson, secretary and treasurer. The UMT is responsible for the running of the unit at a strategic and management level.
Each Sea Cadet unit must comply with all policies and procedures issued for the governance of Sea Cadets by, or on behalf of, the MSSC Council and the Ministry of Defence (MOD). The MOD
underwrites the Sea Cadet training liability.
Primary Purpose: To support the UMT chairperson and other trustees to manage an effective and successful Sea Cadet unit and provide a safe, maintained and serviced unit.
Secondary Purpose: To be accountable to the unit chairperson and fellow trustees for keeping records of the unit’s facilities, ensuring they are safe and adequate to support the unit’s charitable purposes and objectives.
We are looking for someone who is able to be responsible for making sure:
- All sites, premises, fixtures and fittings and contents are safe for use by cadets,volunteers, visitors and contractors.
- Ensuring site and premises security and integrity is maintained (appropriate locks,fencing, CCTV, emergency and security lighting etc).
- Contributing to the unit Risk Register and unit Development or Action Plan.
- Ensuring necessary facility risk assessments are carried out and recorded.
- Ensuring in date documents such as an asbestos register, fire and electrical certificates
are easily accessible for spot checking.
- Assisting the chairperson in ensuring the facilities elements of the unit’s health and safety regime is properly managed and the facilities elements of the Corp’s health and safety procedures are followed.
- Advising the chairperson of the appropriate property and contents values for the units’ insurance policies.
- Keeping records of and maintaining all records and documentation relating to the ownership and maintenance of the unit’s premises, fixtures & fittings and contents including plans, leases or licenses and warranties.
- Any facilities payments to third parties such as ground rent and rates are met (liaising with the treasurer) and for securing the greatest relief possible.
- Devising annual facilities operating budgets and for liaising with the suppliers of utilities (water, gas, electric, telephone, internet access) to maintain supply, ensure regular meter readings are undertaken and cheapest tariffs achieved, liaising with the unit treasurer as appropriate.
- Devising and pursuing a planned maintenance and development programme (including budget) for the unit’s premises, fixtures and fittings and contents ideally projected at least five years ahead.
- Arranging and quality controlling works by volunteers and third party contractors to maintain and replace the unit’s facilities, arranging estimates, quotations and establishing budgets and approving invoices as being ready and accurate for payment by the unit treasurer.
- Managing the generation of any income from the unit’s facilities. This includes helping to devise charging policies, arranging and managing lettings to third parties, and supporting the treasurer in collecting payments. It is to be noted, however, this does not include a caretaker role.
- Advising the chairperson and working with the trustees responsible for fundraising on applications to the MSSC Premises Fund and assisting with the identification of external capital funding.
- Reporting regularly on the above principal tasks at UMT meetings.
- Ensure work closely with the unit fleet/boats manager to ensure they are properly maintained and details recorded.