This volunteering role includes the following tasks:
• Complete the training required to become competent in this role.
• Assess clients’ issues over the phone and sometimes in person, using sensitive listening and questioning skills.
• Identify key information about the problem including time limits, key dates and any requirement for urgent advice or action (using the public information site and any other diagnostic tools, as necessary).
• Identify and summarise the nature of the problem and establish what the client wants.
• Assess and agree the appropriate level/type of service, taking into consideration the client’s ability to take the next step themselves, the complexity of the problem and Citizens Advice Barnsley’s resources.
• Refer clients appropriately (both internally and externally) to suit clients’ needs following agreed protocols, including making arrangements and informing clients of what to expect.
• Signpost clients appropriately to suit their needs following agreed protocols.
• Consult with service supervisors.
• Accurately record the information given during gateway assessment interviews onto Petra, our case recording system.
• Contribute to our research and campaigns work.
• Attend volunteer’s meetings and other training events.
up to 5
Some one who is able to maintain confidentiality about clients and their contact with the bureau.