Are you a dab hand at making, mending and fixing?
We are looking for a volunteer handyperson to help with repairs and maintenance in ELSH Hub properties.
We would ideally like a regular volunteer who could come in a couple of hours a day.
What will you get out of it?
You will have the chance to gain real first hand Experience in maintenance and repair for a community organisation, and assisting us in creating a warm and welcoming space for our staff, visitors and volunteers.
• Changing lightbulbs
• Basic plumbing repairs
• Completing repairs that don’t require a specialised technician
• Simple painting/decorating tasks
• Maintaining the exterior throughout the seasons
• Routine maintenance and inspection of the heating/air-conditioning system, reporting any issues to management.
Days required: Mon AM, Mon PM, Tues AM, Tues PM, Weds AM, Weds PM, Thur AM, Thur PM, Fri AM, Fri PM
Recruitment process: Applicants will be contacted and asked to attend ELSH for an informal chat about the role.
Applicants will be contacted and asked to attend ELSH for an informal chat about the role.
Skills you’ll need
• Ability to complete tasks as above, some of which could be physically demanding.
• Experience in a similar role maintaining community buildings.
• Attention to detail,
• Willingness to learn to use specialised tools and equipment
Volunteers will need an understanding and willingness to work with vulnerable people.
Our students are people who live in Barnsley community and the surrounding area, but who don't speak English as a first language. These students may be refugees or immigrants and need to learn the language in order to help them settle into society.
ELSH offers an extensive programme of training and events and activities as part of its service, which we encourage volunteers and students to get involved with. Free refreshments are available, and travel expenses are paid weekly.
All appointments will be made subject to a DBS check. The ELSH Hub is committed to a policy of equal opportunities. We respect and value cultural and religious diversity and will not discriminate based on age, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, religion, culture or disability.