Men in Sheds Assistant (AGE 50+)
Purpose of the Role:
To assist the Men in Sheds project worker to run a creative, enjoyable & safe environment.
• Greet new and existing shed members.
• Learn how to use machines and tools safely.
• Take an interest in the member’s hobbies and interests, talk, support and listen to members about their interests. With a special focus on members who have no interest in woodwork.
• Help members with projects if required and ensure that members follow health and safety rules.
Days required: Mon AM, Mon PM, Tues AM, Tues PM, Weds AM, Weds PM, Thur AM, Thur PM, Fri AM, Fri PM
Recruitment process: We always welcome new volunteers and value the contributions that our volunteers make to the work we do for the elderly people of Barnsley.
We do have a procedure for the recruitment of volunteers, this includes the completion of a short application form followed by an informal chat with the Volunteer Coordinator or the Service Manager.
We always welcome new volunteers and value the contributions that our volunteers make to the work we do for the elderly people of Barnsley.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• An interest in woodworking and the ability to work safely
• Have a good knowledge of Health and Safety working practices. Set good examples and interrupt poor working practices.
• Ability to listen, talk and support members.
• Be discreet, polite and non-judgemental
• Reliability is essential
• Commitment to the policies of Age UK Barnsley, particularly those relating
To equal opportunities, confidentiality and health & safety
• Be aware of health and social issues that may affect older men and respond appropriately
• Be aware of safeguarding issues and pass on any concerns to the project
• Not to advise members but to signpost to Age UK Barnsley’s Information & Advice Service if required.
• Work as part of a team with Age UK Barnsley staff and other volunteers.
• Participate in training sessions and meetings as necessary.
• No specific previous experience or qualifications are required as training and on-going support will be provided.
Due to funding restrictions, this role is to work with Male service users only. Volunteers need to be aged 50+ years of age.